After looking at real estate for the last couple of years, we’ve decided to finally “pull the trigger” on a new house. Since making that decision and in the course of three weeks :
- We’ve negotiated to buy a house in South Freeport. Got well into the process, only to have the sellers pull out due to “sentimental reasons.”
- In the meantime, went through the trauma known as “staging” and prepping our current house for sale. Decide to go through with the sale because “…it’ll take a couple of months to sell*.” We’ll use that time to figure out next steps.
- Sold the house within 72 hours. Buyers want a really fast close — literally less than a month.
- Start packing. Start finding a new place to live. Start the inspection process.
- Buyers flake out. “Financing” is the suspected culprit.
But along the way, an interesting thing happens. A beautiful piece of property here in town has a price reduction. Then another. And after a while, it starts to get into a price range that we might be able to make work.
This is the story of that property, the field it contains and the house that we’re hoping to build there.
God help us all….
(* These are words that will be on Steve’s grave stone. Along with “Don’t wipe the blood off. I want to get my camera.”)